How Do I…
Get Credit for Military Service Under USERRA?
If you served as an active member of the U.S. military while employed with a TMRS city, you are protected under USERRA, a federal law that allows employees who have left work to serve in the military to reinstate their city time as if they had never left. If you are called to active duty while employed with the city, USERRA allows you to claim your time credit, and you also have the right to purchase the service by making the contributions to your account that would have occurred during your military leave. The city sends in matching funds (at the current city rate) when the member submits payment (whether partial or whole payment).
How to Get Credit Under USERRA
- Determine if you qualify:
- You were on military leave and returned to employment on or after December 12, 1994
- You were released/discharged under honorable conditions
- You were reemployed by the city within 90 days of your release/discharge
NOTE: Payment of your missed retirement contributions is optional and any payment you make (for up to the Maximum Contribution amount) must be made during a limited time, which begins on the date of re-employment with the City and continues for up to three times the length of your immediate past period of service in the uniformed services, such payment period not to exceed five years.
What Happens Next?
Your account will be credited with the number of months of service credit equal to your military leave (not to exceed 60 months).
The city makes payments to TMRS. The city will match any contributions you make towards your USERRA.
After we receive payment, we will send you a confirmation letter. Your additional contributions will be reflected in your account records and Annual Statement.
If you fax a form, do not mail a separate copy. We only need one copy of each form, either faxed or mailed.
How Do I? for Members
- Check my account information?
- Change my name?
- Change my address?
- Change my beneficiary?
- Get credit for previous public service?
- Get credit for military service?
- Get credit for military service under USERRA?
- Get a refund?
- Request a retirement estimate?
- Apply for service retirement?
- Apply for occupational disability retirement?
- Get help if I am divorcing?
USERRA prohibits an employer from denying any benefit of employment on the basis of an individual’s membership, application for membership, performance of service, application for service, or obligation for service in the uniformed services.